Psychological trauma is experiencing, witnessing or being exposed to a traumatic event.
Traumatic events involve:
- actual or threatened death or serious injury, or
- a threat to the physical integrity of oneself or others.
Traumatic events include:
- sexual abuse
- physical assault
- terrorist attacks
- natural or man-made catastrophes
- hostage taking
- diagnosis of a life-threatening illness
Traumatic events trigger:
- intense fear, helplessness, or horror
- disorganized or agitated behavior (especially in children)